Import data from Kinetic Lite?

Phillip Carter

17 Sep, 2013 05:22 PM

I upgraded from Kinetic Lite this morning, and skipped the import step when I first started up -- now I would like to import my older data from Kinetic Lite, but I cannot find a way to do that in Settings. Can you throw me a bone here?

/pRC

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Nick on 17 Sep, 2013 05:24 PM

Hi, you can use itunes file transfer to get the 2 .sqlite files from kinetic lite, and then replace them in kinetic.

Thanks

Nick

2. 2 Posted by Phillip Carter on 17 Sep, 2013 05:30 PM

Yoiks, demonic software processes. I'll take a look at that tonight.

Maybe you guys could put access to this functionality into Settings in a future release?

Thanks for the quick answer -

/pRC

3. 3 Posted by Phillip Carter on 17 Sep, 2013 11:29 PM

OK, I'm in iTunes now (version 11.0.5 running on Mac OSX)

I'm on the Apps tab, but when I scroll to the bottom to the 'File Sharing' area... I can see Kinetic, but there is no KineticLite listing.

Don't see a way in the Settings for KineticLite to export the data.

Hrm. What am I missing?

/pRC

4. Support Staff 4 Posted by Nick on 18 Sep, 2013 07:03 AM

Ouch! Just tested it here, and you're right. Sorry...missed a flag to enable this feature in the lite version.

There will be a dropbox support in the future to make this all easier!

For now you could use this - http://www.iphonebackupextractor.com/ (I have just tested it works).

Backup your phone, then open this app. Click expert mode, then in the browser window expand applications->com.wearemothership.kineticlite and select the 2 sqlite files and export to a directory of your choosing.

Very sorry for this! Weirdly you are the first person to mention it.

Best

Nick

5. 5 Posted by Phillip Carter on 18 Sep, 2013 02:42 PM

Leave it a UX person to find an issue no one else has noticed!

While I appreciate the link for the extractor utility, I don't think that will be a good suggestion for most users. Installing a separate app to 'hack' my iTunes data will feel like a risky solution for users that don't understand (or want to understand) the underlying technologies here -- Apple has applied a lot of effort to hide files from iPhone users, and this is one of the reasons that users like iOS.

Suggestions:
    1) enable file sharing for Kinetic Lite
    2) add a function to the Kinetic Settings - Import from Kinetic Lite - that triggers the function you have already built and only runs at initial start

I am going to try deleting Kinetic and re-installing to invoke the import function. If I cannot re-install without paying again, I'll just chalk this up to a lesson learned and try to find another App from a different vendor.

/pRC

6. Support Staff 6 Posted by Nick on 18 Sep, 2013 02:57 PM

No, I agree its not a good suggestion for most users. Though it does work, and depends on how much you want your data! I'm just providing the support I can to get you up and running as fast as possible.

2) was always a nasty hack to get around the complete lack of interprocess coms - it uses the pasteboard! dropbox is how we are planning to solve this in the future.

Will switch on file sharing in next release of kinetic lite, and introduce dropbox support.

As will all apps, you will be able to delete and reinstall without paying again.

/Nick

7. 7 Posted by Phillip Carter on 18 Sep, 2013 04:44 PM

Yay, deleting and re-downloading gave me the startup option to copy data - success!

This may still make some folks unhappy; I'm guessing the copy process overwrites instead of merging, but it is much simpler than using a 3rd party app to copy the data.

Also, small bug, the units reverted to metric (km) from miles used in Kinetic Lite. Data displays correctly once I change the Setting, so no big deal.

Thanks again for your help -

/pRC

8. 8 Posted by Lars on 26 Oct, 2014 06:42 AM

Hello,
    one year and still no support for importing from Kinetic lite.
    I just send your app as a gift.

1. It didn't start on an iphone 5c.
    2. There´s ni import Option from kinetic lite?

Is this the first time i want my money back for an app?

Your app was great.

Lars

Sorry for my bad english

9. Support Staff 9 Posted by Nick on 26 Oct, 2014 07:37 AM

Hi Lars

Have you actually upgraded Kinetic Lite?

You have to use iTunes file sharing to copy over the data now.

Regards

Nick

10. 10 Posted by Lars on 26 Oct, 2014 07:51 AM

Hi Nick,
    Kinetic Lite is up to date. On the 5c ios 8.1 is running.
    There is no "Kinetic Lite" in itunes to share with. Only "Kinetic"

Lars

11. Support Staff 11 Posted by Nick on 26 Oct, 2014 08:07 AM

What version does it say in settings screen?

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac