How does kinetic calculate average speed/pace, calories, time with auto pause turned on?

sergiodauria

06 Aug, 2014 01:58 PM

I'm trying to figure out how accurate calculations with auto pause "on" are during runs. I live and run in Manhattan, so I have frequent stops and starts. It takes a while for the auto pause to kick in, sometimes I'm not stopped long enough for auto pause to kick in, but i worry that it impacts my averages. Does Kinetic take the pauses into account? How does it handle pauses where I'm not stopped long enough for Auto pause to kick in? If it takes pauses into account, does it also include the time it takes for auto pause to kick in (seems around 5 seconds or so).

1. 1 Posted by sergiodauria on 09 Sep, 2014 09:19 PM

Just thought I'd kick this one up again since I haven't heard. Thanks!!

2. Support Staff 2 Posted by Nick on 09 Sep, 2014 09:35 PM

sorry, missed your original question.

GPS is not 100% accurate. Yes it normally takes around 4-5 GPS positions (we get around ~1 per sec). We ignore the last one - so 4 secs. you then need 1-2 secs of moving at reasonable speed to restart it.

It certainly will have an impact on accuracy turning this on, but for day to day running should average out.

If you want best accuracy, turn it off and then export the GPX file and analyse via a desktop app such as Ascent.

Regards

Nick

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac