Sprinting features

's Avatar

jgolden

28 Aug, 2013 07:19 PM

If someone hasn't already, I would like to suggest that you add a module or modify a current module, that would help with those who do sprinting.

I am just getting started in this area, but noticed there was not really some good options. Timing is for more distance, although I changed the time. I would like to keep track of sprints (I usually do more than one), time, and set goals for certain distances (40m?).

Thanks for the great software, I have enjoyed and used only your software to track my running since you came out with the first version!

1. 1 Posted by Correction on 28 Aug, 2013 07:23 PM

Small correction, I was thinking 60 meter, not 40 m.

2. Support Staff 2 Posted by Nick on 28 Aug, 2013 07:30 PM

Hi, you are the first to ask to track such small distances.

The phone is no way accurate enough to time a 60m run...let alone a 40m could be more than a couple of seconds either way out...

Maybe will work in the future - somehow, but you'll need to somehow communicate that the run has started and you have covered the distance other than by GPS - so will need to support an accessory of some kind I guess.

3. 3 Posted by James Golden on 30 Aug, 2013 12:43 PM

Actually I was surprised, but the distance is fairly accurate most times. I would say it is off distance more than it would be off seconds.

Still, I was thinking more of preset sprinting distances. i.e. most sprinters will run on a track anyway. They will usually run certain distances like the 60m, 100m, etc....
    In my case, I measured off 60m on a hill, and I run that.

One hurdle I see, that I have struggled with is the start and stop. It would be beneficial to use one of the buttons for this purpose. Having to look at the screen you loose a second or two as you look to make sure you pushed it and the timer has started. Then when you get to the end you have to get the "start" button to reappear before you can stop, which I easily look 2 to 3 seconds doing.

Thanks for the discussion.
    I don't even know if you can "borrow" a button, as I would guess that Apple keeps that stuff locked down. But wanted to throw it out there.

Thanks for the discussion.

4. Support Staff 4 Posted by Nick on 31 Aug, 2013 07:12 AM

We only get one position per second. So on a 60m run say your doing it in 7 secs, thats potentially a second either way depending on when you got the first and last positions. Then there is the inaccuracy of the GPS, which changes depending on weather and what satellites there are in the area...but in normal operation, with a good signal, its about 10m...

I have had a camera app rejected in the past for using the volume button. Apple's own camera app now uses the volume button, so i guess their policy has changed on this...so, may be possible...will certainly consider adding something like this.

Cheers

Nick

5. 5 Posted by James Golden on 03 Sep, 2013 01:19 PM

I understand what you are saying about the GPS accuracy. That makes since.

Also, I think I understand your position a little better after some more thought. Considering that the app is named "Kinetic" GPS, my suggestion kind of takes it out of the realm of that functionality, or at least puts it in a position to not perform well using GPS.

If not, it is not the end of the world. Right now I just use a "stopwatch" program and keep track of my time mentally. Fortunately I only do 2 to 3 sprints right now, but hope to build up to about 10.

Thanks for listening,

James Golden
    Scott Group Custom Carpets

The content of this email is classified as Scott Group Custom Carpets, Inc. confidential and proprietary information.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac