A bunch of ideas and suggestions

Boone B

16 Jun, 2014 05:28 PM

Hi,

First let me start by saying that I love your Kinetic app, it’s by far the closest to perfection in a fitness app that I have found to date. Thanks for your time and effort that has gone into making it what it is, great work!

I do have a few thoughts and suggestions to make it better.

1. There are some UI things that I feel like could be streamlined, for example to change the GPS accuracy setting I have to add the GPS module, change it, and then remove it (it’s not a module that I use very often). It’s seems like this sort of setting should be in the global settings in the app. There are a few other settings that would be nice to have in a more intuitive locations. IE: using Google for altitude accuracy, time and distance goals in their own modules, etc.

2. More in depth documentation would be really helpful. The beauty of your app is that it is so incredibly flexible, but with that comes some fragmentation that calls for a pretty steep learning curve in the beginning. The help module is a nice start and the knowledge base is good for specific questions (although doesn’t seem to be used much), but there is nothing to help figure out how everything fits together. It’s taken me a good 2 months of regular use to get to where I feel like I can really get it to do what I want it to and trust it. But there were some frustrating times where I would lose workouts or I was spending more time figuring out how to record what I wanted to record than actually working out.

3. An option in the start module to lock as soon as start is pressed (or after a certain amount of time without interaction) would be really nice. I run with an SPI belt and there have been plenty of times where I would hit start and then forget to use the in app lock, only to find at the end of the run that I had accidentally stopped it again putting it in the belt or enough sweat had built up to allow the fabric of the belt to interact with the touch screen. On a related note, it seems if a module’s settings are being edited after starting the timer that the app stops recording the workout. I have had this happen a couple of times, very frustrating to finish a workout only to find that half of it was lost due to accidentally not locking the screen and a module being unintentionally “tapped” during the workout.

4. The ability to scroll over the modules while the screen is locked would be really nice (obviously, still no interaction allowed, just scroll).

5. iCloud or Drop Box integration to save locally stored workouts (IE: app reinstall or new phone).

6. This may be limited by iOS, but it seems if I want voice notifications I can’t hit my iPhone’s lock button after starting the timer. It’s seems like I need to use the in app lock and disallow auto lock in the app’s global settings if I want the screen locked but still get notifications. Like I said, I run with an SPI belt and have no need for the screen to be on for the whole run. Plus, it would be really nice just to be able to hit start and the lock button and know I will get voice notifications during my workout and my workout will be saved. (This is my least favorite part of the app, I don’t feel like I can just set it, start it, and go. I always have to double check before I feel confident to go workout. If I ever take it out during a workout, I have to double check again. Really takes the focus off of my workout when I am having to wonder if it is being properly recorded.)

7. Post workout in the history part of the app, it would be great to be able to touch a point on the route map or speed/altitude/distance graph and get info for that particular point. It’s frustrating to be limited to slider. Especially when the slider doesn’t scale to zoomed maps or graphs, so it moves way too fast if you are trying to drill down to specific points in a workout.

8. On the speed/altitude/distance graph the speed graph for me is almost always very inconsistent. There are huge swings and fluctuations. I assume this is probably due to the imperfections of GPS data and the result of plotting every data point. It would be great to have a option to apply a smoothing algorithm to average data points over a per minute basis, generate a trend line or something to that effect. This would be much more useful data for me, knowing what my speed trends are during the workout is far more important than discrete data points.

9. The last suggestion is for a customizable countdown timer/stopwatch module. I use an app called Seconds Pro for custom/modularized timers when interval training. For non-traveling workouts, it’s perfect. But to have that sort of functionality built into Kinetic would be awesome for interval based running/biking workouts.

Thanks again!
Boone

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac